Here’s a deeper dive into the variety of work I’ve been doing for the past couple of decades or so:
Alumni Relations and Foundation Communications Manager
Curry School of Education and Curry School Foundation, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (2006-2017)
- Wrote, edited, and directed production of all alumni relations print and digital communications (print and online magazine, print and online newsletters, class notes website), and Foundation communications to promote fundraising (annual reports, marketing materials, stewardship letters).
- Administered alumni and Foundation webpages as well as the Curry Blog, Curry Facebook page and Curry alumni LinkedIn group.
- Created the Curry School’s first ever alumni relations manager position (2009), which I filled for 7+ years.
- Increased alumni class note submissions from 33 in 2011-12 to 500+ in 2012-13 by switching to print newsletters segmented by interest area (due to print magazine budget cut). Moved magazine online.
- Reinvigorated alumni attendance at Curry-sponsored reunions events (e.g., 2017 UVA Black Alumni Weekend event at Curry hosted 40+ attendees, compared to five at last attempt in 2011).
- Collaborated with a videographer to produce brief videos on four high priority projects (e.g., see www.youtube.com/watch?v=unj93rgFJOU and www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHQAMHR3F8).
- Obtained funding to reinstate the Curry print magazine after a six-year hiatus, which I produced in spring 2017. (curry.virginia.edu/magazine/2017/03/curry-magazine)
Curry School Center for Technology & Teacher Education, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (1999-2006)
- Supported faculty grant writing and academic publication projects.
- Served as UVA liaison to the National Technology Leadership Coalition.
Co-authored/edited books and coordinated book projects, including the following:
- Hofer, M., Bell, L., & Bull, G. (2015) Guide to technology, pedagogy and content knowledge (TPACK): Rich media cases of teacher knowledge. Boone, NC: AACE.
- Bull, G., & Bell, L. (2010). Teaching with digital video: Watch, analyze, create. Eugene, OR: ISTE.
- Bell, L., Thompson, A., & Schrum, L. (2008). Framing the research on technology and student learning in the content areas. Charlotte, NC: Information Age.
- Bull, G., & Bell, L. (2005). Teaching with digital images: Acquire, analyze, create, communicate. Eugene, OR: ISTE. (An ISTE Best Seller.)
Founding Co-Editor/Managing Editor
Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education (www.citejournal.org), Curry School of Education, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (2000-2017)
- Managed production of electronic academic journal, including maintaining relationships with the five professional teacher education associations represented on the journal editorial board and their respective section editors.
- Copyedited journal articles, communicated with authors, and posted articles online in html.
- Directed development of initial journal website and all journal policies in 2000 when the journal was established.
- Oversaw the journal website redesign in 2015-16 to update interface and web 2.0 functionality.
School Science and Mathematics journal (1997-2006)
Major Responsibilities: Copyedited all articles, laid out articles electronically, prepared journal for publication, and coordinated production with printer.
Lakeview, Oregon (1993-94) and Corvallis, Oregon (1994-1999)
Regular assignments included the following:
- Writer/Photographer/Designer, Alumni Newsletter (Development Office, College of Home Economics and Education, Oregon State University)
- Contributing Writer/Photographer, The Oregon Stater (university-wide alumni paper)
- Feature Writer/Photographer, Ruralite, (a monthly magazine for customers of Consumers Power, Inc.)
- Editor, The Family Times (a monthly Corvallis, Oregon, area tabloid)
Chair, Board of Directors, Charlottesville-Albemarle Love in the Name of Christ (2015-2017; board member from 2011)